How to use SD Mapper / Megaram 512K

Page 2/2
1 |

By brawaga

Rookie (18)

brawaga's picture

24-10-2020, 17:09

Just bought this thing.
I could not mount on the PC the card they give me with it, but I did make a backup image just for case (dd reported I/O error though). So it works on MSX, but not on PC.
I tried some my SD-cards with it, and went fine when FAT16, except Transcend MultiMediaCard 1GB wasn't recognized at all.
So try another card, if you have a choice, try different vendors/sizes/etc.

By ray2day

Hero (566)

ray2day's picture

24-10-2020, 17:29

Why? @Oeioeivogeltje YOU never read manuals and README's!

For other MSX users; it would be indeed great if there comes a manual with a sold MSX hardware device...

By tooloud

Rookie (20)

tooloud's picture

17-11-2020, 13:46

I put some thoughts about this SD mapper on my blog, however it's in Polish, so you need to use Google Translate or something to get it proper language.

http://tooloudtoowide.com/z-pamieci/msx-sd-mapper-megaram-512k/

By ray2day

Hero (566)

ray2day's picture

17-11-2020, 16:13

Clear review!

By MSX4ever

Master (205)

MSX4ever's picture

17-11-2020, 23:08

I have the following information :

[img]SD-Mapper-Interface.jpg[/img]

By Pentarou

Champion (290)

Pentarou's picture

17-11-2020, 23:51

@tooloud: Maybe your card is defective, in MEGARAM mode TESTRAM shouldn't show 512KB mapper memory.
The ASCII8/ASCII16 would be a Sofarom problem, sometimes you need to force detection and AFAIK the original R-Type rom dump need fixes on other devices too.
And there is an "official" manual, but it's in Portuguese. Look for a file called "Manual-Mega-Mapper-512.pdf".

tooloud wrote:

honestly - I have never loaded a succesfully ANY 512k .rom file with this megaRAM.

What ROMs have you tried? I don't know of any worthy 4MB game besides Metal Gear 2, and btw, my card can load 8MB roms Tongue
Did you really create the case for your card? Would you share the .stl?

By tooloud

Rookie (20)

tooloud's picture

18-11-2020, 19:15

I will recheck all, but I had in hands two pcs of this mapper. both played the same.

@Pentarou, if your card allow to load 8MB ROM it means you have not 512k version but 1024k version (this is very simple - 512k is 4MB not 8MB) and that's answer why your allows to do that. I think if 512k is even partly used by something it cannot be 100% filled by .rom file.

Most of all - got it without any manual. Also on github repository there is no manual. Just a few words from the author so all I have written is got by step by step experience.

About the 3d design files, I gonna start offering resin printed various cases so... no. No public files, sorry.

By tooloud

Rookie (20)

tooloud's picture

18-11-2020, 19:23

one more thing, got thru ALL files on this repository: https://github.com/fbelavenuto/msxsdmapper, there is no such thing as manual to the unit, in any language, only some limited infos in readme repository. So my attempt is to summarize all we know about this unit, maybe even to help the author to create the manual and at least to have place to point people asking "how to make it working".

By Pentarou

Champion (290)

Pentarou's picture

19-11-2020, 00:31

tooloud wrote:

@Pentarou, if your card allow to load 8MB ROM it means you have not 512k version but 1024k version

It was meant as a tongue in cheek comment... Yes, obviously I have a 1MB version which I built it myself, by changing the CPLD code and adding an extra SRAM.

The pdf manual is done by a third party, some seller out of Brazil I think.
A copy can be found here.
But really, the short description in the github readme, although in Portuguese, gives all the info one needs.

I repeat my request: What 4Mbit game did not work?

Page 2/2
1 |