Request a wiki

Page 16/16
9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 |

By Grauw

Ascended (10604)

Grauw's picture

24-07-2022, 00:01

Hit-Biter wrote:
wolf_ wrote:

An MSX emulator should do; an MSX starts up in MSX-BASIC. Although then the file would probably be in a .dsk image, which you may not have access to from Windows. With https://openmsx.org/ it should be possible to read a regular file folder as disk (DirAsDisk). But for openMSX you'll be needing systemROMs 'n such, and openMSX can be a bit daunting for starters... :/ Probably everyone has those systemROMs, but for a starter it takes more time to explain. ;(

Errr OK. Can you recommend an Emulator of the MSX for the PC that will run on win 11 ? Also where can i download it from ?

OpenMSX is the best emulator (get the system roms here, read the manual where to put them). Or else use WebMSX or BlueMSX, or any of the several other emulators (Google).

By Hit-Biter

Expert (105)

Hit-Biter's picture

24-07-2022, 00:12

Grauw wrote:
Hit-Biter wrote:
wolf_ wrote:

An MSX emulator should do; an MSX starts up in MSX-BASIC. Although then the file would probably be in a .dsk image, which you may not have access to from Windows. With https://openmsx.org/ it should be possible to read a regular file folder as disk (DirAsDisk). But for openMSX you'll be needing systemROMs 'n such, and openMSX can be a bit daunting for starters... :/ Probably everyone has those systemROMs, but for a starter it takes more time to explain. ;(

Errr OK. Can you recommend an Emulator of the MSX for the PC that will run on win 11 ? Also where can i download it from ?

OpenMSX is the best emulator (get the system roms here, read the manual where to put them). Or else use WebMSX or BlueMSX, or any of the several other emulators (Google).

OK Ive downloaded and installed BLUE MSX and it seems to work and fit the bill. I will try OPEN MSX when i get more experienced at using an emulator. Right now Id like a little help in how to load a bas file on my PC into BLUEMSX ! :/ Yea its the simple stuff that gets me :/

By Manuel

Ascended (18873)

Manuel's picture

24-07-2022, 00:20

Emulators emulate real MSX'es. So do with them what you would do on your real MSX as well. Unless you don't have a disk system on your real MSX and never used it... then you'll have to learn a bit Smile

BAS files are usually encoded in 'tokenized format'. That's what MSX-BASIC does to store the file efficiently (it's also how it's stored in memory, to make up for the only 28kB you get at most). I think there are some separate basic-detokenizer programs out there, but I don't really have experience with them. I'd use openMSX myself indeed, as described by Wolf_. The same can probably be done with blueMSX.

By Hit-Biter

Expert (105)

Hit-Biter's picture

24-07-2022, 00:43

Manuel wrote:

Emulators emulate real MSX'es. So do with them what you would do on your real MSX as well. Unless you don't have a disk system on your real MSX and never used it... then you'll have to learn a bit Smile

WEll first off Nope, Ive just got a standard Sony Hit Bit HB-75B MSX 1 with no disc drive, only cassette currently hence my search for a cheep SD solution earlier but the costs involved mean that buying a MSX 2 with internal FDD would be a better deal I think.

BAS files are usually encoded in 'tokenized format'. That's what MSX-BASIC does to store the file efficiently (it's also how it's stored in memory, to make up for the only 28kB you get at most). I think there are some separate basic-detokenizer programs out there, but I don't really have experience with them. I'd use openMSX myself indeed, as described by Wolf_. The same can probably be done with blueMSX.

OK Well i'm here to learn ! Big smile So Manuel what do you mean by 'tokenized' format ? Also you mention basic-de-tokenizer programs out there but fail to mention what there called or link me to one. Err that sounds a bit ungrateful :/ that's not my intention but I need you all to understand im very new to this and I don't understand :/ I find it frustrating when somone replies ' Oh yea we have a think for that, but then fails to mention what the thing is or where to get it ! See my point ? Its late though so i forgive you Big smile

Also can you tell me how to de-tokenize the BAS file in BLUE MSX or OPEN MSX ?

By Hit-Biter

Expert (105)

Hit-Biter's picture

24-07-2022, 03:03

OK Ive downloaded and installed OPEN MSX as I've discovered that BLUE MSX is no longer in development and unsupported. Pity as its got a nice user friendly interface unlike OPEN MSX. So OPEN MSX is where its at ! Well Its a PIG to use for a first timer like me at least. Ive no idea how to load a ROM. Ive got a FH Archive downloaded via torrent and have all the content it includes and have tried some of its ROMS but i'm doing something wrong. I just want MSX Basic on my PC so i can load BAS files or at least save them as ASCII so i can view them in Notepad but dam, its not an easy thing is it :/ Been at this now for hours and really am no further on than when i started :/ Well its bed time i guess. Ive had enough of going round in circles for one night.

By st1mpy

Paladin (870)

st1mpy's picture

24-07-2022, 04:17

There are quite a few of these tools, I've not tried this one but it's an basic editor that saves in dsk format apparently. Click Here

Looks like it uses its own script, so you might need to search for a different one if you want line numbers.

By jepmsx

Master (156)

jepmsx's picture

24-07-2022, 07:06

I was also overwhelmed by the configuration of openMSX. At the beginning I used catapult that is a GUI that is quite intuitive to use. After learning what openMSX could do and reading many times the documentation now I run it straight from the terminal and use F10 to send commands to openMSX.
The first step is to find the ROMs of the MSX machine that you want to emulate and store them in a directory where openMSX can find it.
The time I invest in openMSX is well worth it.

By Hit-Biter

Expert (105)

Hit-Biter's picture

24-07-2022, 11:02

st1mpy wrote:

There are quite a few of these tools, I've not tried this one but it's an basic editor that saves in dsk format apparently. Click Here

Looks like it uses its own script, so you might need to search for a different one if you want line numbers.

Could you explain how to configure and use this ? I installed it and opened a spaceman.bas file and its just squares dots and arrows on the screen :/ What IS that ?

By st1mpy

Paladin (870)

st1mpy's picture

24-07-2022, 19:21

You should start a new thread for the help you need on each topic.

Anyway, the Tabmegx thing works for me. I have never used it before. So, I downloaded it, and unzipped it. When I first run it, it asks you for locations of various tools. So, I pointed the emulator location to where bluemsx exe file is, and also location of Disk Manager tool (you need to download and install yourself). I loaded the sample and when I run it, it opens the emulator and loads the basic program and runs.

There is also this thing msx viewer

By Hit-Biter

Expert (105)

Hit-Biter's picture

24-07-2022, 20:59

st1mpy wrote:

You should start a new thread for the help you need on each topic.

Anyway, the Tabmegx thing works for me. I have never used it before. So, I downloaded it, and unzipped it. When I first run it, it asks you for locations of various tools. So, I pointed the emulator location to where bluemsx exe file is, and also location of Disk Manager tool (you need to download and install yourself). I loaded the sample and when I run it, it opens the emulator and loads the basic program and runs.

There is also this thing msx viewer

Thank you for this ! It was a bit difficult to find the download link but easy to install and to operate. I can now save as ascii and view the listings in notepad. Easy, the way it should be. All teh other complications with emulators etc i do not want. i just wanted to view .nas files as ascii text in notpad. Thanks again as ive been very frustrated with the issue this last day or two and was going to give up. Kudos to you. :)

Page 16/16
9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 |