Carnivore2: New build with 2.50 version

Page 2/2
1 |

By Wierzbowsky

Guardian (3492)

Wierzbowsky's picture

04-04-2022, 21:07

crisag wrote:

1. The schema seems to be incorrect on the CF-CARD connector. The pins are not the same on the board. Do you know why? For example the GND pins 8,9,10,11, and 12 are different. It seems pin 2 is disconnected on the board, etc.

The pin numbering of the CF slot is not linear. As there are 2 rows, the pin order may be not 1,2,3,4, but 1,26,2,27 and so on.

By crisag

Rookie (29)

crisag's picture

20-06-2022, 00:55

Coming back here to update the thread and help others that may be investing time to build the cartridge. I managed to build all of them. Only one had issues with the RAM chip at the end. The other two not working where due to the 50Mhz oscillator. After trying a bit replacing the memory and flash I decided to check the clock with my oscilloscope (I should be doing that before, I know... my bad). Then I figured out the clock was not being generated. I replaced the oscillator on the two cartridges and voilá... all my carnivore2 are now working ok.

Lessons learned:

1. Never trust your Chinese vendors. Smile
2. Turn on the oscilloscope, it is not just to make your workbench cool.
3. Quartus 20.1 also works to update the firmware.

I also created a 3D model for a case you can print. It already has the holes required for the CF Card and the audio jack. I'll upload them to thingiverse.

Page 2/2
1 |