Galaga Paddle support patch

Galaga Paddle support patch

by sd_snatcher on 11-02-2020, 19:01
Topic: Software
Languages:

MRC user FRS created a patch that adds support for the MSX-Paddle to the game Galaga.

As a bonus, it also adds:

• Supports MSX-HID PnP connection/disconnection detection for the paddle
  • Allows 5 to be pressed on boot to force 50Hz video
  • Enables the turbo on machines that have the CHGCPU routine on BIOS

Combined with autofire, this patches gives a new level of fun for this old classic.

Relevant link: Galaga paddle support patch.

Comments (23)

By Danjovic

Expert (106)

Danjovic's picture

11-02-2020, 21:11

Hey, I did that once but not so fancy Wink.
Playing Galaga with paddle provides fun at a higher order of magnitude.
Do you have spare space to detect and use Arkanoid paddles?

By gdx

Prophet (3241)

gdx's picture

12-02-2020, 01:07

Damn! I have to make me a paddle now.

By ~mk~

Master (228)

~mk~'s picture

12-02-2020, 01:40

Very nice. Would it be possible to do something similar for mouse support? And now that I think about it, what about Arkanoid with mouse support? That'd be awesome!

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3196)

sd_snatcher's picture

12-02-2020, 12:03

Danjovic wrote:

Hey, I did that once but not so fancy Wink.

Tip: take a look at the Special Thanks section of the README file. Wink

BTW, do you prefer your nick or real name there?

Quote:

Playing Galaga with paddle provides fun at a higher order of magnitude.
Do you have spare space to detect and use Arkanoid paddles?

Right now I have -2 bytes of free ROM. This means I had to commit the sin of lending two bytes from the reserved area at the cartridge header. I hope not to be burnt at the stake for that. Big smile

Any further mods will require the ROM to be expanded to 32KB. Nothing serious, but let’s wait to see if people will have fun with the paddles as it is now. It wouldn’t make sense to invest more time if nobody is going to play. Wink

By alexito

Hero (611)

alexito's picture

12-02-2020, 18:39

I want to try it but I just have Atari Dual Paddle and Vaus Arkanoid Paddle someone can address where can I buy one of this new/old PWM MSX Paddles?
Crying

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3196)

sd_snatcher's picture

12-02-2020, 22:29

alexito wrote:

can address where can I buy one of this new/old PWM MSX Paddles?
Crying

Tip: you can find how to build cheap DIY adapters for the Atari dual-paddles on this article. :D

There you can also find how to build a whole new paddle using NES or SNES joypad cases.

I published here a video of the game being played in paddle mode.

By gdx

Prophet (3241)

gdx's picture

13-02-2020, 01:38

By alexito

Hero (611)

alexito's picture

13-02-2020, 02:33

I have found a Sega Master Paddle Control in my collection
any way to modify that to MSX or just connect it directly without modification?

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3196)

sd_snatcher's picture

13-02-2020, 11:02

No, the SMS paddles are very different beasts. To adapt it for the MSX you would pretty much have to ditch its entire circuitry and replace with a new PCB.

By alexito

Hero (611)

alexito's picture

13-02-2020, 15:22

@sd_snatcher: Thanks for your advice about the SMS Paddle control because I was very tempted to try it.

By Danjovic

Expert (106)

Danjovic's picture

14-02-2020, 11:59

sd_snatcher wrote:
Danjovic wrote:

Hey, I did that once but not so fancy Wink.

Tip: take a look at the Special Thanks section of the README file. Wink

BTW, do you prefer your nick or real name there?

Quote:

Playing Galaga with paddle provides fun at a higher order of magnitude.
Do you have spare space to detect and use Arkanoid paddles?

Oh, thanks Wink for mention to the old patch. You can left the name just as it is now.
I have a suggestion, though. As there is no more spare space you can use an alternate patch for Vaus paddle (or even SMS paddle).

By gdx

Prophet (3241)

gdx's picture

16-02-2020, 09:35

There are several games that would nice with a paddle patch. Mr. Mole (Nerlaska Studio) for example.

By Danjovic

Expert (106)

Danjovic's picture

16-02-2020, 19:22

gdx wrote:

Maybe now is a good time to finish my tutorial about converting games to use paddles. btw the game I have used on the tutorial was penguin wars.

By alexito

Hero (611)

alexito's picture

16-02-2020, 19:28

@Danjovic: Thanks, That would be very appreciated!!!

Running Naked in a Field of Flowers

P.S.:I have ordered the parts for assembly the Vaus Clone and the Adapters sd_snatcher mentioned.

By Grauw

Ascended (8703)

Grauw's picture

16-02-2020, 20:41

Danjovic wrote:

That sounds like it would be interesting to read!

By Danjovic

Expert (106)

Danjovic's picture

17-02-2020, 00:28

I began to write the tutorial in 2015 but never ended it properly because it began old school, but at some point I was tempted to abandon the didactic approach following the disassembly listing even further and restart everything using a debugger. Laziness won the battle lol!
Nevertheless the 5 articles (scroll down) written so far are in portuguese language, but they are pretty inteligible after a google translate.

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3196)

sd_snatcher's picture

18-02-2020, 17:29

Danjovic wrote:

I have a suggestion, though. As there is no more spare space you can use an alternate patch for Vaus paddle .

There isn't enough space for a lone Vaus paddle driver too. One big advantage of using the BIOS is that it allows you to code nice things into a very compact space, since the bulk of the code will be on the MSX ROM.

Another problem is that the safe range for the Vaus paddles isn't known, and its seems to have quite some variance between different devices. A range that would work for one device could not work well for another. I posted a request for owners to test their paddles ranges with your utility on this other thread, but nobody seems to be interested. Given that the similar gathering of serial numbers thread got hundreds of responses, can we conclude that there isn't any interest on having support for the Arkanoid paddles for any other games? :)

By alexito

Hero (611)

alexito's picture

18-02-2020, 20:10

Well, Here is my Vaus Paddle Controller Test.

Video

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3196)

sd_snatcher's picture

19-02-2020, 01:28

Thank you, alexito! Smile

I published your results on the Arkanoid paddle thread.

By Danjovic

Expert (106)

Danjovic's picture

19-02-2020, 02:40

sd_snatcher wrote:
Danjovic wrote:

... I posted a request for owners to test their paddles ranges with your utility on this other thread, but nobody seems to be interested...

My diy Vaus ranges from 63 to 405, while my hybrid prototype can go full range depending upon how many bits are shifted out : 0 to 255(8bits), 511(9bits), 1023(10bits).

By alexito

Hero (611)

alexito's picture

20-02-2020, 16:09

After Hamlet Vaus Paddle Controller Test on HB700 I have decided to do one more test but this time on Turbo R ST and for my surprise the values range changed a little just take a look:

Video

:evil:

By sd_snatcher

Prophet (3196)

sd_snatcher's picture

21-02-2020, 00:38

This paddle is very picky with the way it's read. I created a new TESTVAUS.BIN and published it at this thread.

By alexito